Random House asked me to write HOODWINKED, a book that delves into the deep-seated causes of the current economic meltdown -- and also provides workable solutions.
HOODWINKED is available TODAY in bookstores everywhere.
It is by far the most important book I have written.
I am so grateful for your continued support of my work. You can purchase HOODWINKED at your favorite bookstore, online vendor, and we even have a purchase link you can use that benefits DreamChange - visit http://www.dreamchange.org , the non-profit I founded and continue to work with.
Also: Please forward this e-newsletter out to friends and please join me on TWITTER @economic_hitman.
HOODWINKED provides the facts – and many personal stories from economic hit men, jackals, business s, politicians, and educators – behind the following Eight Key points:
1. The US – in fact the world – has been stolen by the very wealthy and powerful, the corporatocracy.
2. This has created a failed system – unsustainable, unjust, unstable, dangerous.
3. The cause is a mutant, viral form of capitalism – what I call “Predatory Capitalism” that began with President Reagan and the philosophy that a) the only goal of business is to make profits, b) corporations should not be regulated, and c) every major economic sector should be privatized. This virus has spread with each subsequent administration.
4. 9/11 was a shock used by the Bush administration to boost this mutant form of capitalism to unprecedented new levels: privatize the military (and introduce privatized Homeland Security); further deregulate financial institutions; radically increase military budgets; and encourage shopping and excessive materialism.
5. The 9/11 shock distracted us from the crises we really need to fear: climate change, resources diminishing at accelerating rates, increasing prices for fuel, foods, and other essentials, violence that results from exploited people living desperate, starving lives, overpopulation, general environmental and social degradation. For the first time in history, every human being – every life form – is confronted by these same crises.
6. Countries and presidents have lost power. Corporations have the power. World geopolitics may be represented by huge clouds (the multinational companies) drifting around the planet; they know no borders and obey no specific sets of laws.
7. The good news: we control corporations. The market place is democratic. The way out is for us the people to support companies that are committed to a sustainable, just, peaceful world; to institute regulations that codify this; to recognize as heroes men and women who are dedicated to creating a world our children and their brothers and sisters around the planet will want to inherit -- in essence to rid ourselves of the mutant virus and create a new type of capitalism.
8. We are all in this together and we are all communicating with each other. The Internet and cell phones offer opportunities to unite us like never before in the human experience.
I am encouraged by grassroots movements across this planet (described in HOODWINKED) and by the commitment of students on campuses in the US and throughout the world. Please read HOODWINKED, share it with your friends, and let’s together create a sustainable, just, and peaceful world.
I hope too that I will see you at one of the upcoming book signings – please see my website for the schedule of events – http://www.johnperkins.org
Visit us anytime on the web at www.dreamchange.org